Tuesday 30 October 2012

Breeder vs. Shelter Dog

I had an email from one of my readers who was concerned that we are getting our puppies from a breeder.  The reader was obviously a huge animal lover as well as an animal activist.  I was asked why would I get the dogs from a breeder when there are numerous shelter dogs that could be used.  What an EXCELLENT question.  I want to explain so that everyone can read my answer.

We chose to use a breeder instead of a shelter because with a reputable breeder we have a better idea of the health of the dog.  Before we chose our breeder, and believe me...we did our research, we interviewed, asked multiple questions, and made sure we got clear answers.  We decided on a breeder who allowed us to visit their facilities rather than those breeders who meet you at the nearest coffee shop.  (believe me, they are out there)


We chose a breeder who stands by her dogs and breeds responsibly.  Another BIG reason we chose Masonridge Kennels is because the breeder knew River's breeder and the litter of puppies we chose from was actually related to River.  Even though the relation isn't direct, it is a comfort to know that they share a similar pedigree. 

I have nothing against a shelter dog being trained for service work, in fact, I think it's a wonderful if you find the right dog.  In my case, with 6 kids, 3 with special needs, I feel the breeder is the best choice for our family.  I hope this clears up any questions you may have.  I would love to hear any stories from my readers who have trained a shelter dog for service work.  It warms my heart to see that that option in full swing.

As I advance on my dog training skills, I will be volunteering my services to our local shelter with the hope of helping difficult to place dogs get a better chance of a forever home.  A shelter dog with some obedience training is much more adoptable.  


Warm wags, 
Samantha


4 comments:

  1. Very cool Sam. I think that you have a great point. I wonder if it would be possible to start training shelter dogs? You would think there would be a service that would offer up their skill for little to no money if they adopt a dog. hmmm....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I'm a sponsor. How cool. lol. sweet. Thanks Sam

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you are Cayleigh! We got your package! Thank you SO much! I will be writing up a little something soon about your business. I just need to charge my camera so I can take a picture of your beautiful leash! Thanks you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  4. sent in from one of my readers....
    I would like to commend you for answering your readers question , why you weren’t using shelter dogs to train as service dogs. I think your answer was informative and knowledgeable, and above all very nicely said. Before selecting a service puppy for training, a dog has to meet certain criteria. Not all dogs possess the ability to perform the tasks that will be required of them.By selecting a specific breed of dog ,( i.e. a lab as in your case ), from a breeder, the training is usually a positive experience.Knowing that the dog has a health warranty, is of utter importance too.
    I just want to congratulate you on receiving such great marks on your exams . This tells me that you are a “natural” at this, especially as I know that you are really looking forward to training , Sienna and Asia’s puppies, Jedi and Griffin, to become service dogs for your own family.
    Good Luck with the rest of your exams. I know that you will do exceptionally well.

    Marg

    ReplyDelete