Sunday 23 December 2012

The Bad and the Good

Wow, our family has been on a crazy ride for the last few days.  It started with a nasty virus that had me down at the emergency department with 2 of my daughters on Friday night.  (Asthma and ear infections)  I spent a number of hours down there with the girls while my husband took care of things at home.  Once we were done at the hospital I called Brian to tell him that I was on my way home.  He answered the phone yelling "Help! Help! Call 911, Asia is having a seizure".  So here I am, down at the hospital with my 2 daughters and Asia is at least a 20 minute drive away.  The seizure was short so I stayed on the phone with Brian and made my way home.

  When I got home Asia was terrified.  She had temporarily lost her vision because of the seizure and was just so afraid. The seizure was short so I didn't take her to the hospital because normally she doesn't seize twice in a row and the shorter seizures are not as dangerous.
  I was wrong.  Asia did end up at the hospital and she did end up seizing again...12 times in a row!!  I was totally out of my comfort zone with this because it was not her usual seizure pattern.  It was so scary watching my daughter go through this.  She'd feel the seizure coming, River was alerting and she kept crying and telling me she was afraid she was going to die.
  As we were leaving to go to the hospital another seizure hit.  The good news is that Griffin showed us that he is able to smell the pheromones that she gives off when having seizures.  This is incredible news because Griffin went right up to Asia and frantically sniffed her.  He was so worried that he actually pee'd on the floor.  He then pawed at Asia with his front paws as she was having her seizure.
   This behaviour from Griffin was amazing.  He is only 12 weeks and already can do this. We now need to work on him coming and telling us when he senses the pheromones.  What an awesome dog!  I didn't get a reaction from Jedi but I think she was outside at that time.
   Asia is home now but still quite unwell.  We aren't sure about the amount of damage she may have sustained from all of the seizures or whether there has been any regression at all.  She has been sleeping the whole thing off with extra Ativan on board.

  We are so very sad about everything Asia has gone through this weekend, especially at a time of year when kids are supposed to be having fun.  Our heart breaks a little more with each and every seizure she has.  We are now hoping for a nice quiet holiday with no more scary stuff.  We are not out of the woods yet because Asia is still a very sick little girl.  We just hope the seizures stay away but I have our hospital bags packed just incase we have to rush down to the hospital again.  I really hope not!  OUr family just can't handle anymore right now.

Hug your loved ones.  Nobody knows how long they will be here.



1 comment:

  1. Fabulous that Griffin is such a natural! My heart breaks for you though. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete